Creating personas for individuals or corporations is easy with just a few clicks. Sometimes, there is no need for cybercriminals to use hacking application to acquire information of a company or of an individual. All they need to do is to create a new profile and pretend to be you or the corporation. With the help of bogus ad and false information, they can fool anybody. To make things worse, they may hack an already existing account and use it to fool lure its network and friends to a scam or start the phishing attack.
To avoid this fraud, here are the ‘Dos’ and ‘Don’ts’
- Avoid talking about and sharing your personal and financial details on your social media accounts.
- To remain private, go to privacy and account settings to limit your page to only those whom you wish to profile page and activities.
- Don’t be fooled by suspicious messages asking for money as these are the usual tactics of hackers to compromise accounts and pretend that they are friends, colleagues, and one of your family members and etc., then send messages asking for financial support. Once you receive any suspicious message, contact your families, friend and colleagues immediately via different platforms of communication to confirm the legitimacy of the message.
- Do not share information such as your birth date, your first pet, or school on your status updates as these are normally included in security questions to reset your password. If the fraudsters know these information, they will use these answers to access your account via the “Forgot Password” link
- Beware on installing third party add-on programs. If you are not familiar with the add-ons, don’t use them. You can ask forums first or ask friends how reliable the said add-ons are. Remember, there such apps used to compromise personal information and your computer.
- Ask a trusted retailer of the item you wish to buy from a reseller in Social Media.
- You must have an anti-virus software that will block virus and even flag suspicious sites
- Keep your wifi password safe. Choose a password which is not obvious and easy to memorize by anyone